Thursday, July 10, 2014

How I Learned About Time When I was Just a Curious Little Girl - A #ThrowbackThursday Post

Photo from: southernlagniappe.blogspot.com


It was at that time when I was just a little girl with full of questions, having a conversation with my mother. I forgot how the conversation started or what I asked first to open the topic. All I remember is it was about what we see in a calendar and this part:

Calendars have 1, 2, 3, 4... and so on. Then have a 1, 2, 3, 4... and so on again.
- Yes. Next month will have them again, and next next month and all months to come.

January, February, March....?
- Yes. They are 12. After all the 12 then it will be back again from the start, January again.

How about years? 1998, 1999... 
- No. They will never be repeated.

I felt sad after hearing the last answer. Enough to remember that conversation until now that I am already 21 and still curious about things. I was expecting the same "yes" answer, thinking years just have longer cycle than months that's why it seems to be not being repeated, but I was wrong. The moment my mother was saying yes that days and months are being repeated, I was thinking that time we can always have birthdays, Christmas etc. like it keeps on coming back and will not be lost. But when I heard that years will not be repeated, it struck me and realized time cannot be turned back. Digits of days, names of the months will be repeated but they will never be the same. 

We can have birthdays in a yearly basis. 18th on a monthly basis. Mondays every after 7 days. But nothing is exactly the same. We lose time. We shed pages of calendars. We grow old. We may never return to that time we wished for. But unlike calendars, we don't have to shed memories. We can still have it 'til the rest of our years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment